It was nice to have the freedom to make the blocks whatever size we wanted. Then a challenge at the end to make them all fit together. I have done a little bit of improv piecing before but this qal gave the opportunity to really get creative with just a few guidelines.
This is the quilt back. I had this fabric in my stash. It was in two pieces so I added a green strip to make it long enough.
I did improv quilting too. Most of the quilting is regular machine stitching. I also included some Big Stitch hand quilting. I have been wanting to do that and this was my opportunity. There is some Sashiko stitching on some of the blocks.