There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Friday, August 15, 2014

Two baby quilts finished

Here is project #13 on my FAL list.  Super Hero's quilt, crib size.  A picture of the main fabrics I had chosen and a picture of how I actually put the quilt together.  I put the fabric with the words in it on the back too.

 Project #14, Cheater baby quilt.  I used this panel fabric and the checkered, very soft, flannel on the back.  I quilted the panel to the batting and sewed it to the backing pillowcase style.  After I turned it I tied it with white baby yarn to keep the backing from shifting and I thought the ties added a design element.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

More finishes

I am trying to get more accomplished on my list this quarter of the Finish Along.
Today I finished the #10 on my list.  It was a mystery quilt from Quiltbug.
The quilting shows up more on the back of the quilt:
Free motion quilting on my sewing machine.


 Recently I finished these:

#1 on my list is Life's a Journey.
She encouraged us to personalize it so I changed a few of the apppliques.  A bike because I rode my bike all the time.  A school bus because I spent countless hours riding that back and forth from school.  I made the house block look more like our house.  I used the trims from the border of the quilt and arranged them on the back of the quilt.  The 3 blue "drops" in the bottom right corner could represent tears, blood, rain, or sweat.  (they are tears)  This quilt was a lot of fun to make.  I haven't put decorations on the Christmas tree yet.



#3, Building Blocks.  This was another fun quilt and I worked ahead of schedule on it.  I wanted to put a border on it and I wanted to use the same fabric as I used for sashing but I could not find any more to purchase.  I had enough to use for binding and that was all.  The first picture is the front of the quilt and the second picture is the back.  I did pieced backing as Leah Day suggested.  Using left overs from the fabrics for the front and a few others to kick it up a notch.  lol.  Below are 2 pictures that are a close up of the front and of the back.  I learned some new things about FMQ'ing.  I am more relaxed about is since Leah so kindly assured people to give up the fear of perfection.




#2 is the 1 Inch strips quilt:   One end of it was not laying flat so I had to take part of it off and sort of play with it to MAKE it fit!  I had to cut part of  it and add more strips and finally I was able to sandwich it and quilt it.  I SITD for the quilting.  I didn't stitch every row.  I kind of jumped around.  I used some of the wonky parts that I trimmed off and used them on the back.  I didn't want all that work to go to waste!  

 Top picture is the front and second picture is the pieced back.
The final picture is a close up of part of the back.
It is called "Quilt by the Mile".  I didn't follow her directions correctly.  I have worked on this quilt off and on for six or eight years.  All the strips aren't mitered as she instructs.  I went by how the mood struck me.  (And I didn't have the instructions with the project)

That is it for now.  It is more difficult for me to blog than it is for me to sew and quilt.

Here is hoping I can cross a few more UFO's off my list.  I made myself a list on a piece of paper this quarter.  I found out that I am very motivated to check things off.





Trying to catch up.

Here is the string quilt that is on my UFO list for the FAL.  I finished it in April and have given it to Linus Quilts.  I put the rabbit fabric on the back.  I forgot to link it up for the second quarter of the FAL, but that's ok.   I wanted to post the picture of it done in my blog so I can keep track of the finishes.